Sunday, March 6, 2011

Book Review: "A Little Exercise for Young Theologians" by Helmut Thielicke

A Little Exercise for Young Theologians (1962) by Helmut Thielicke  This is a very short book detailing the dangers of theological study.  Many of the thoughts are ones I have already had myself, but they were very good reminders and gave some reasons I had not already thought through.  This is a book that will encourage you to pursue theology while always remembering that it is not knowledge in and of itself that you pursue, but rather God himself.  It is easy to forget this, and so this is a book that I believe I should read at least twice a year going through seminary.  Perhaps my favorite thought that he introduces is the ease with which we move from the second to the third person in our theological pursuits.  By this he means that we cease to talk TO God and instead only speak OF God.  I have seen this danger in my own life and heart and it is one to combat continually.

No comments:

Post a Comment