Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Book Review: "The Problem of War in the Old Testament" by Peter C Craigie

The Problem of War in the Old Testament (1978) by Peter C. Craigie  If I were to give this book a rating from 1 to 10 I would put it somewhere around 5.  I will further explain this rating, but I must first say that despite this fact I would still highly recommend the book to anyone.  Peter does an excellent job of expressing the theological and practical problems of the prevalence of war in the Old Testament.  Throughout the entire book he hints at resolutions to these problems, which causes one to be hopeful and continue reading, but then in the last chapters he concedes that he has no real answers.  Instead he turns from the problems entirely and instead proposes a Christian perspective on war in light of the Old and New Testaments.  This is why I would highly recommend this book to anyone, because his thoughts and perspective on this are well thought out and definitely worth considering, however the book itself wanders from topic to topic and doesn't really give any helpful solution to its main problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment