Monday, April 19, 2010

Look What the Lord Has Done

So ever since I came to West Chester one thing that struck me was that there are over 4 Christian groups on campus but they never really interact. I've been praying for unity between the groups for 3 years now and its been awesome seeing God put things together. I can't even begin to tell you of all the ways, the most prominent was a "meeting" that occurred in the student union in October when the leaders of the 3 largest groups on campus just "happened" to all meet up at the same time. It was completely unplanned, but there was a guy telling another person about his vision to see God unite the campus groups, so I butted in and said that I had the same vision, and next thing you know there's 9 of us there all talking about this and praying for together.

Fast-forward 6 months and we were working on putting together the first meeting with all the groups at once. It was originally scheduled for last Monday, so I took off work, but then there was trouble securing a room so the date changed to this Monday. I had a dilemma, though, because I work until 9 but the meeting started at 8, and since I had already taken off last week I couldn't take off again. So I was just going to show up late to the meeting, around 9:15 instead of 8...but then I found out Friday that I had an RA meeting at 9, so I just wasn't going to make it to this worship night.

Today, then, I found out that the RA meeting had been pushed back to 9:30. So I was thinking about all this stuff and realized that I hadn't told people that I wouldn't be there at all, because some of them were expecting me to be late, so I was thinking about telling them and I was going to say, "I really wanted to go, but stuff keeps coming up and the doors are closing. I don't always think closed doors mean we should stop trying, sometimes they're a test of dedication, but I've tried everything I can and it just seems God doesn't want me there." I was thinking about this as I was walking to work and I was going to text it once I got there.

So, I walked into work, and Sean said, "The grills not working." (There's a convenience store and a grill and I'm really there to help man the grill.) Apparently yesterday "someone" ripped a hole into the propane tank so there wasn't any propane for the grill. So I called Karen, my supervisor, and asked, "Do you really want me working since the grill is closed?" She said, "I'd rather not, but I figured I'd give you the hours."

So basically, a date change, room change, and hole in a propane tank later, God worked it out so I could be at the meeting. It was awesome, seeing all those people together praising God, seeing people there that I've seen around campus and never had any clue that they were believers, praying together for God to reach the campus for him. But I think that for me, the greatest thing, the coolest thing about the whole night, was that I wasn't supposed to be there. Everything that we do is only by the Spirit and the grace of God, but sometimes its easy to forget that, so it was nice to have a night like tonight where God could refocus me and remind me that its not by might, nor by power, but by His Spirit that we will prevail.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! It's very hard to discern what is a "closed door" and what is a "hurdle" that you need to jump over.

    ReplyDelete